Greetings from this Traveler,
I just finished navigating my way through the reading and Frontline program for "Thing 12". I found some of the items intriguing,some of them eye-opening,and one or two items just downright scary. The material seemed to indicate that the vast majority of adolescents are growing up with tech savvy hardwired into their genes and they have so integrated the Internet and online social networking into their lives that it is now part of their personalities,a facet of their beings,not just a tool. For myself, I view the Internet as a tool. This is the spot where I come to the crumbling edge of the divide that separates me from the younger generations. I am having difficulty in identifying with their perspective.
Addressing the question of safety, parents and adults who want to protect youngsters seem to be traveling down the negative path in a lot of cases by trying to monitor, deny access, or legislate limitations. I am not in favor of any of these methods. The adage, where there is a will, there is a way comes to mind. Young people,teens in particular, can be resourceful and if thwarted and spied upon may take evasive action to reach their goal. Young people can be VERY adept at evasive action. The reality is that there is no fail safe method for being their protectors while they are online. Young people must be taught to be their own protectors. Anne Collier, the author of MySpace Unraveled, was one of several people featured on the Frontline program. She thinks communication and open dialogue is key in youth allowing us to play the role of their backup while they are still learning the skills of critical thinking and using the filter between their ears. She also advocates teaching young people the concepts of ethics and citizenship because safety is not the only issue to be dealt with online. Copyright theft, plagiarism, and cyberbullying are a few of the other issues mentioned by Collier. I agree with Ms. Collier and although I have given it some thought, I am still not sure how this all applies to the role the library should play. Until next time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment