Thursday, March 5, 2009

Social Networking

I traveled through the networking sites Jean suggested we look at. I felt like I was on one of those "Twenty cities in ten days" tours as I worked through this "Thing 11". I just didn't have the time to more than barely scratch the surface of what I might learn. I will try to spend more time here and there after I have finished with the "19 things". Anyway, I visited the czarofguitars site on MySpace; nice! I also noted that there were 5410 listings under public libraries on MySpace (I checked again today [24,900]). Some libraries were using MySpace to post their job openings. I located Margaret and Florence on Facebook by the pictures they used on their profiles. I tried to find Jean but didn't recognize a picture. You have to be a member to see a person's full profile (which is a good thing) so I couldn't be sure which she was. I chose not to sign up for any of the sites, mostly because of COMMITMENT. It can take a lot of time keeping things updated. Basically it is a relationship for the purpose of staying current with ones'standing friendships or new relationships you make after joining the network.
I think more and more libraries are going to be using one of the social networking sites to connect with people. I think our library should also. There is no lack of audience for most anything you put out there.

No comments: